Escarole with Lemon Breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 2 lemons, zested, plus 1/2 lemon
- 2 heads escarole, thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- A few grates of nutmeg
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- A drizzle of honey
Heat 1 tablespoon EVOO and the butter in a skillet over medium heat. When the butter melts, add the breadcrumbs, onions and lemon zest. Toast the breadcrumbs until golden, then transfer to a bowl and return the pan to the heat.
Add the remaining 2 tablespoons EVOO to the pan and then add the escarole. Turn the escarole in the EVOO to wilt, then season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Add the stock and honey and simmer over low heat for 2-3 minutes to mellow the greens a bit. Squeeze the juice of 1/2 lemon over the greens, top with the breadcrumb mixture and serve.