Oven BBQ Brisket
- 9 lbs flat-cut beef brisket, in two pieces, most fat removed
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tsp celery seeds
- 3 Tbsp freshly ground black pepper
- 4 large bay leaves, crumbled
- 12 oz tomato paste
- 1 cup dark soy sauce
- 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup tightly packed dark brown sugar
- 2 medium onions thinly sliced
- 1 bottle beer
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Trim brisket and rub all over with the garlic. Combine celery seeds, pepper, ginger and bay leaves, then rub into all sides of the brisket. Mix the tomato paste, beer, soy, Worcestershire and sugar, and coat the meat. Score the fat side of the brisket and place the onions on top, and place the meat in a heavy, high-sided roasting pan. Cover tightly with aluminum foil. (I marinated the meat overnight). Cook for 4 hours.
Open the foil to expose the onion-covered top, and cook for another hour. Remove meat to a heated plate and keep warm. You can even cook this a day in advance, and reheat in the oven before serving. Serves 12 in theory, but it's so delicious it's really 8-10.