Gouda and Lentil Soup
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery or baby spinach leaves
- 4 cups peeled, diced sweet potato (about 2)
- or use butternut squash
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 to 2 X 19 oz. can lentils, drained and rinsed (for tick soup, use 2)
- 1 cup shredded Gouda, divided
- or use Gouda with cumin seeds
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes, quartered
If desired, pre-cook sweet potatoes or squash.
In a pot, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add onion and celery and saute for 3 mins. or until softened. Stir in sweet potatoes and cumin and saute for 2 mins. Add broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 8-10 mins or until potatoes are tender. In a blender, puree in batches until smooth. Return to pot. Stir in lentils. Cook on medium heat for 2 mins or until heated through. Remove from heat and stir in half of Gouda and spinach is using. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with Gouda and tomatoes.