Seared Wasabi-Glazed Salmon with Forbidden Rice
- • 1 tablespoon Asian (toasted) sesame oil
- • 1 ripe mango (1 to 1 1/4 lb.), pitted, peeled, and coarsely chopped
- • 3 tablespoon rice vinegar
- • 1/4 cup dry white wine (optional)
- • 4 jasmine tea bags
- • 1 cup Forbidden Black Rice or Jasmine Rice (see notes)
- • 1/2 teaspoon salt
- • 2 1/2 tablespoons wasabi powder (see notes)
- • 1 tablespoon honey
- • 1 1/3 pounds boned, skinned wild salmon fillet, cut into four equal pieces
- • 2 teaspoons olive oil
- • Chopped fresh cilantro or parsley (optional)
Pour sesame oil into a 10- to 12-inch ovenproof frying pan over medium heat. When hot, add mango and stir often just until heated through, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Scrape into a blender and add vinegar; whirl until very smooth, then whirl in enough white wine or water to give mixture a very thin, pourable consistency (about 1/4 cup). Pour sauce into a small, microwave-safe pitcher.
Wipe pan clean. In a 3- to 4-quart pan, combine 2 cups water and the tea bags; bring to a boil over high heat. Remove tea bags and add rice and 1/2 teaspoon salt; stir, cover, and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until rice is tender to bite, 45 to 55 minutes (about 20 minutes for jasmine rice).
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix 2 1/2 tablespoons water, wasabi powder, and honey until blended.
Rinse and dry salmon. Pour olive oil into the 10- to 12-inch ovenproof frying pan over medium-high heat. When hot, lay salmon pieces in pan, skinned side down; cook, turning once with a wide spatula, until lightly browned on both sides, 3 to 4 minutes total. Remove pan from heat and brush wasabi-honey mixture over tops of salmon pieces, using it all. Transfer pan with salmon to a 350° regular or convection oven. Bake just until fish is opaque but still moist-looking in center of thickest part (cut to test), 7 to 10 minutes.
Heat mango sauce in a microwave oven at full power (100%), stirring occasionally, about 2 minutes total. Transfer a piece of salmon to each of four warmed plates; spoon rice equally alongside (or set salmon on rice). Drizzle mango puree around salmon and rice. Garnish with chopped cilantro. If desired, and add more salt to taste.
543 (31% from fat)
19g (sat 3.1)
You'll also love
- Chipotle-Orange-Glazed Salmon... 4.6/5 (44 Votes)
- Pomegranate Gelato 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Stuffed mushroom 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Scalloped Potatoes 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Teriyaki Shrimp Alfredo 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Potato Wrapped Halibut 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Sweet Potato Cakes with Smoked... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Eric Ripert's Phyllo Wrapped... 0/5 (0 Votes)