Michael Symon's Grilled Onion Burger and Spicy Quick Pickle
- For the Condiments:
- 1 medium Yellow Onion (sliced)
- Vegetable Oil
- 1 1/2 pounds Ground Beef Chuck
- 6 slices American Cheese
- Salt and freshly cracked Black Pepper
- 6 Hamburger Potato Buns
- For the Spicy Quick Pickle:
- 2 Fresno Chilies (thinly sliced)
- 2 Kirby Cucumbers (thinly sliced)
- 2 cups White Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Red Chili Flakes
- 1 teaspoon Fennel Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Coriander
1 medium Yellow Onion (sliced)
instructionsHeat a griddle to medium high. Add a few tablespoons of oil to the griddle and top with diced onions and season with salt.
ingredients1 1/2 pounds Ground Beef Chuck
Salt and freshly cracked Black Pepper
6 slices American Cheese
instructionsMeanwhile, form 4 ounce balls of the ground beef and season with salt and pepper. Place a ball of meat on top of each onion pile and smashed down with a spatula to flatten. Season meat and cook for 2 minutes or until crispy on the first side. Flip and cook for 1 minute then top with a slice of cheese. Cook for 1 more minute just until the cheese is melted.
6 Hamburger Potato Buns
instructionsFor the Condiments: Spread mayo on the bun and warm bun on the griddle the place a cooked cheesy pattie on the bottom of the bun. Top with the spicy quick pickle and your favorite condiments.
ingredients2 cups White Vinegar
1 teaspoon Sugar
1/2 teaspoon Red Chili Flakes
1 teaspoon Fennel Seeds
1 teaspoon Coriander
2 Fresno Chilies (thinly sliced)
2 Kirby Cucumbers (thinly sliced)
instructionsFor the Spicy Quick Pickle: Combine vinegar, sugar, chili flake, fennel and coriander in a small pot and bring to a boil. Pour over prepared vegetables. Allow to sit until liquid is room temperature. Strain and serve.
1. When making burgers, you shouldn’t use meat with less than 20% fat. Ground meat with a higher percentage of fat has more flavor than lean meat.
2. Only press the patties when they first go on the grill. Pressing burgers after they’ve been cooking squeezes the juice out, leaving you with dry burgers.
3. When melting cheese on the burger, put a splash of water on the griddle and cover the burger with a lid to create steam melting the cheese faster.