Raw Kale Salad with Root Vegetables
Tender, long-leafed Lacinato kale works especially well in this recipe, but any variety will do if it's cut very thin and given a thorough rubdown with salt, vinegar, and oil. The grated root vegetables and maple-glazed pecans add just the right crunchiness.
Per 1-cup serving:
Protein: 5 g
Total Fat: 24 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Carbohydrates: 27 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 732 mg
Fiber: 5 g
Sugar: 14 g
- 2 12-oz. bunches kale, stems removed, leaves cut into thin strips or chiffonade
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 Tbs. apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt, divided
- 1 cup whole pecans
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 Tbs. canola oil
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 medium turnip, peeled and grated (1 cup)
- 1/2 medium rutabaga, peeled and grated (1 cup)
- 1 medium carrot, grated (1/2 cup)
- 2 green onions, cut thin on diagonal
- 2 Tbs. lemon juice
- 1 Tbs. grated lemon zest
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 Tbs. low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tsp. agave nectar
Adapted from vegetariantimes.com
1. To make Salad: Place kale in large bowl, and pour olive oil, vinegar, and 1 tsp. salt over top. Gently massage mixture into kale about 2 to 3 minutes by hand, or until kale starts to wilt. Let rest 30 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 375°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Toss together pecans, maple syrup, canola oil, remaining ½ tsp. salt, and cayenne in medium bowl. Spread nut mixture in single layer on prepared baking sheet; bake 8 to 10 minutes, or until pecans are brown and fragrant, stirring frequently. Cool in pan.
3. To make Dressing: Whisk together lemon juice, lemon zest, oil, soy sauce, and agave nectar in bowl. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
4. Stir turnip, rutabaga, carrot, and green onions into kale mixture. Toss with Dressing. Garnish with pecans.
You'll also love
- Pear-Chicken Monte Cristo... 4.6/5 (14 Votes)
- Extra Cherry Chip Cookies 4.6/5 (14 Votes)
- Baked Shrimp in Tomato Feta Sauce 4.6/5 (14 Votes)
- Salisbury Steaks with Onion Gravy 4.6/5 (14 Votes)
- Jowl Bacon Spinach Salad 4.5/5 (17 Votes)
- Crispy Butternut Squash Spinach... 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Tuscan Kale & Cannellini Bean Salad 4.6/5 (10 Votes)