Pineapple Apple Pie
- 1/2 cup cold vegan stick butter, chopped into cubes
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp. flour
- 2 Tbsp. cornmeal
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 Rome Beauty apple, peeled, cored and cut into cubes
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and cut into cubes
- 1 Golden Delicious apple, peeled, cored and cut into cubes
- 1 cup canned crushed pineapple, drained
- 3 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground ginger
- 9-inch ready made pie shell (use vegan, or make your own)
- vanilla ice cream
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare pie crust according to package directions.
Combine all the topping ingredients except the butter in a medium bowl. Using a pastry blender, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside.
In a large bowl, combine all the filling ingredients. Pour filling into the pie shell. Sprinkle topping over the filling. Cover the top loosely with some aluminum foil. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove the aluminum foil and reduce the oven temperature to 375 degrees. Continue baking for 40 minutes more or until apples are slightly tender when pierced with a fork. Cool for about 30 minutes and top each slice with a scoop of vanilla ice cream before serving.