- "Meat" Sauce:
- 2 medium Zucchini cut into 1/8 inch slices - par boil about 5 minutes
- 1 medium Squash cut into 1/8 inch slices - par boil about 5 minutes
- 20 oz Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 20 oz Ricotta Cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
- 2 TBSP Butter
- 3 Cloves Garlic (pressed)
- 1 Onion finely chopped
- 1/2 - 1 lbs Sliced Mushrooms
- 1 lbs ground beef substitute (veggie crumbles)
- 16 oz can Diced tomatoes
- 8 oz Tomato Sauce (or marinara)
- 3/4 cup Dry Red Wine
- 1 Tbsp Ground Oregano
- 1 Tbsp Rosemary
- 1 Tsp Basil Leaves
- Salt (to taste)
- Pepper (to taste)
Adapted from keyingredient.com
1) Heat Butter over medium heat and add Garlic and Onion.
2) Cook until Onion is limp.
3) Add Mushrooms and Ground Beef and cook stirring for 5 minutes.
4) Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer gently for 25 minutes or until thick.
1) Preheat oven to 375ºF
2) Arrange a layer of Zucchini & Squash in a semi-shallow 3 quart casserole dish/pan.
3) Cover with Ricotta, Mozzarella and "Meat" Sauce.
4) Repeat layers until near the top of the casserole dish.
5) Bake uncovered for 35-40 minutes or until Zucchini is tender.
6) Put the remaining Mozzarella on top for the last 15 minutes.
7) Serve topped with Grated Parmesan Cheese.