Chili - Sweet Potato & Quinoa Chili
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can tomato paste (6 oz) (beet puree?)
- 1 T chili powder
- 1 T cumin
- 1 t oregano
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained (15 oz)
- 1 can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained (15 oz)
- 1 box vegetable stock or broth (32 oz)
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2″ cubes
- S + P
- 1 cup dry quinoa, rinsed and drained
- avocado for garnish
- cilantro for garnish
Adapted from myutensilcrock.com
Heat a small amount of oil in a dutch oven or large soup pot over medium heat.
Add the onion, and cook until it starts to turn brown (about 10 minutes).
Add the garlic, and cook for about 2 minutes.
Add the tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, and oregano and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
Add the beans, stock or broth, and potato, and season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes.
Add the quinoa and stir.
Lower heat a bit and continue cooking for about 15 – 30 minutes, stirring frequently, until the potatoes are soft, the quinoa develops “tails,” and the chili has thickened, adding water if it gets too thick.
Top with avocado and chopped cilantro.