Garnish each serving with shredded Cheddar cheese, green onions and sour cream if desired.
- 1-1/2 lb(680 g) extra-lean ground beef
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chili powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
- 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) packed light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 4 cups (1 L) radiatore pasta or short pasta
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 35mins
Adapted from canadianliving.com
In large saucepan or Dutch oven, brown beef over medium-high heat, breaking up with spoon. Remove to strainer to drain.
Add oil to pan; sauté onion, celery, carrots, garlic, chili powder, cumin, thyme and pepper until carrots begin to soften, about 8 minutes.
Stir in crushed and diced tomatoes, kidney beans, sugar, Worcestershire sauce and beef; reduce heat, cover and simmer until celery is tender, about 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, in large saucepan of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package directions; drain and stir into chili.