Lentil and Penne Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 14-ounce can chopped tomatoes, with juice
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 cup lentils
- 5 cups water
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 1 cup grated Parmesan, for serving
Adapted from judicialpeach.com
Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large pot. Add the onion, and cook for 5 minutes, until the onions are tender, stirring regularly. Add the carrot, garlic, and 1 teaspoon of salt, and cook for another 5 minutes.
Tie the rosemary and thyme sprigs together, to form a bouquet garnish. Add the tomatoes and the bouquet garni. Stirring frequently, cook for about 10 minutes, or until the tomatoes have cooked down and are smelling fragrant.
Add the lentils and mix to coat. Add 5 cups of water (or more, if you prefer a thinner, more soup-like consistency), 1 teaspoon of salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat, cover, and simmer gently for about 25 minutes.
After 25 minutes, add the pasta. Cover, and cook for a final 15 minutes, or until the pasta is al dente. Remove the bouquet, and season to taste, as necessary.
Serve warm, garnishing each bowl with freshly grated Parmesan!
You'll also love
- Baked Penne with Chicken, Broccoli... 4.4/5 (335 Votes)
- Hot Pepper Peach Cheeseball 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Mandarin Noodles 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Bacon-Wrapped Dates Stuffed with... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Shrimp(or Sausage) Fettuccine... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Spicy Black Bean-Corn... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Angel Hair with Lobster and... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- greek lamb chops on white bean... 0/5 (0 Votes)