Red Lentil-Rice Cakes with Simple Tomato Salsa
Looking for a great vegetarian recipe? This is the one for you! Packed with tons of flavor, Red Lentil-Rice Cakes with Simple Tomato Salsa won't leave you hungry.
- 3 cups plum tomato, finely chopped (about 6 tomatoes)
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons capers
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups water, divided
- 1 cup dried small red lentils
- 1/2 cup uncooked basmati rice (or 1.5 cups cooked rice)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper (about 1/2 pepper)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion (about 1/2 onion)
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
Adapted from find.myrecipes.com
To prepare salsa, combine first 5 ingredients; set aside at room temperature.
To prepare cakes, bring 4 cups water and lentils to a boil in a medium saucepan. Reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes or until tender. Drain and rinse with cold water; drain. Place lentils in a large bowl.
Combine remaining 1 cup water and rice in pan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 18 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Cool 10 minutes. Add rice to lentils.
Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add bell pepper, onion, fennel seeds, and garlic to pan; sauté 2 minutes or until tender. Cool 10 minutes. Add to rice mixture. Add mozzarella cheese and remaining ingredients, stirring until well combined. Let stand for 10 minutes.
Wipe skillet clean with paper towels. Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in skillet over medium heat. Spoon half of rice mixture by 1/3-cupfuls into pan, spreading to form 6 (3-inch) circles; cook 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Carefully turn cakes over; cook 5 minutes on other side. Remove cakes from pan. Repeat procedure with remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and remaining rice mixture. Serve with salsa.
You'll also love
- Kevin's Famous Brussel Sprout... 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Sausage and Caramelized Onion... 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Tomato Grilled-Cheese Soup 4.5/5 (21 Votes)
- Cream of Fresh Tomato Soup 4.5/5 (21 Votes)
- Ranch Style Beans 4.3/5 (23 Votes)
- Black Bean Salad 4.5/5 (21 Votes)
- Spicy Red Lentil Soup with... 4.6/5 (12 Votes)