Fettuccine Alfredo with Bacon
WW points for One cup Serving: 9
- 1 (9-ounce) package refrigerated fresh fettuccine
- 2 slices applewood-smoked bacon, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 2/3 cup (about 2 1/2 ounces) grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Cooking time 20mins
1. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain in a colander over a bowl, reserving 1/4 cup cooking liquid.
2. While pasta cooks, cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat 4 minutes or until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove bacon from pan, reserving drippings. Add garlic to drippings in pan; sauté 1 minute, stirring constantly. Sprinkle flour over garlic; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly; cook 2 minutes or until bubbly and slightly thick, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low. Gradually add cheese, stirring until cheese melts. Stir in salt and reserved 1/4 cup cooking liquid. Add hot pasta to pan; toss well to combine. Sprinkle with bacon, parsley, and pepper.
When you're short on time and the ingredient list is short, make every ingredient the freshest and best you can find. A real wood-smoked bacon imparts lots of flavor: Applewood is mild and slightly sweet, while hardwood, such as hickory, is more assertive.