Bittman’s twist on ratatouille involves roasting the vegetables to help concentrate their flavors, and adding chickpeas for extra heartiness. This roasted ratatouille can also be made with roughly chopped greens (such as kale and escarole) instead of the eggplant or zucchini—just be sure to include tomatoes for moisture and roast the vegetables long enough for them to soften. The dish will keep several days in the fridge or several months in the freezer.
PER 2-CUP SERVING 435 cal; 15 g prot; 19 g total fat (3 g sat fat); 56 g carb; 0 mg chol; 803 mg sod; 18 g fiber; 17 g sugars
- 1 lb. small eggplant, cut into large chunks
- 1 lb. Roma tomatoes, cored and chopped, or 1 28-oz. can whole tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 3/4 lb. zucchini, cut into large chunks
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced (11/2 cups)
- 2 red or yellow bell peppers, cored, seeded, and sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and halved
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 cups cooked or canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh thyme or rosemary, or 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil or parsley
- I like to add a splash of apple cidar vinegar just before serving for a bright punch. (devogirl)
Adapted from mydigimag.rrd.com
1 | Preheat oven to 425°F. Combine eggplant, tomatoes, zucchini, onion, bell peppers, garlic, salt, and oil in large roasting pan.
2 | Roast 30 to 40 minutes, or until vegetables are lightly browned and tender, and some water has released from tomatoes to create a sauce, stirring occasionally.
3 | Stir in chickpeas, and roast 5 to 10 minutes more, or until chickpeas are heated through. Stir in thyme, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Serve hot, warm, or at room temperature.
You'll also love
- Sous Vide Thai Glazed Pork Ribs… 4.4/5 (16 Votes)
- Henke's Hunter's Venison 4.9/5 (11 Votes)
- Guferati (Indian Green Beans) 4.9/5 (11 Votes)
- Strawberry Shortcake Trifle 4.9/5 (11 Votes)
- Sliced Baked Potatoes Recipe 4.4/5 (51 Votes)
- SOUP-LENTIL 5/5 (3 Votes)
- Pressure Cooker Red Lentil Split... 5/5 (3 Votes)
- Curried Red Lentil, Chickpea And... 5/5 (3 Votes)