Kevin's Famous Brussel Sprout Gratin
This will be your favorite way to enjoy brussel sprouts. Kevin's Famous Brussel Sprout Gratin is creamy, savory and delicious!
- Cream Sauce:
- 1 1/2 to 2 LBS Fresh Brussel Sprouts, washed, stem ends trimmed off outer leaves removed, sprouts cut lengthwise through core (halve if brussel sprouts are small, quarter if they are large)
- 1 TSP Kosher Salt
- Pinch of Fresh Ground Black Pepper to taste
- 2 to 3 TBSP of Unsalted Butter (slightly melted)
- 2 TBSP Water
- 3 TBSP Unsalted Butter
- 1 Large Onion, Diced
- 3 TBSP All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Cup Whole Milk
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- Pinch of White Pepper to taste
- Pinch of Nutmeg to taste
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup of freshly grated comté or gruyere cheese
- 1/4 cup of freshly grated pecorino romano cheese
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 100mins
Preheat oven to 400F.
Lightly grease shallow pie or small casserole dish with small amount of Olive Oil. Add 2 TBSP water to bottom of dish.
Toss sprouts in melted butter, salt and pepper. Place in dish. Roast for 30 minutes, stirring after 15, 25 and 30 minutes. When finished, it should be cooked through and starting to brown in spots. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
Sauté onion with 1 TBSP of butter in skillet over medium heat until soft and translucent add 2 TBSP of butter and 3 TBSP Flour, stir until smooth. Slowly whisk in milk and cream. Continue cooking and stir continuously for 2 to 3 minutes or until smooth and creamy. Season with pinch of white pepper and pinch of nutmeg to taste.
Top evenly with comté and romano.
Bake covered at 350F for 15 minutes. Remove cover and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until topping is light golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.