Chicken and Vegetables with Penne
Penzey's Spice Recipe
- 2 lbs. skin-on chicken breasts and thighs
- 4 TB. olive oil
- 1 TB. balsamic vinegar
- 1-2 TB. your favorite herb blend such as TUSCAN SUNSET, PASTA SPRINKLE or ITALIAN HERB MIX
- 1/2-1 tsp. salt, to taste
- PENZEYS FRESHLY GROUND PEPPER, to taste
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed (or 3/4 tsp. PENZEYS MINCED GARLIC rehydrated in 1 tsp. water)
- 1-2 Cups broccoli florets, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 11/4 lbs. penne pasta
- 1 lb. crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 4-6 shallots, roughly chopped (or 1/3 Cup SHALLOTS)
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped in large pieces
- 1/2 Cup chicken stock (or 1/2 Cup water mixed with 1/4-1/2 tsp. CHICKEN SOUP BASE)
- 1/2-1 Cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, to taste
- 1-2 tsp. ALEPPO PEPPER or CRUSHED RED PEPPER (to taste)
Preparation time 20mins
Adapted from penzeys.com
Preheat oven to 350°. Rinse the chicken pieces, pat dry and set aside. Rub the chicken with the olive oil and balsamic vinegar and place in a heavy, oven-safe skillet. Sprinkle with HERBS, salt, PEPPER and GARLIC. Bake the chicken for 40-50 minutes, until the juices run clear when pierced with a knife.
While the chicken bakes, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the broccoli and cook for 1-11/2 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon or strainer. Rinse under cold water, drain well, and set aside.
Remove the chicken from the oven and allow it to cool a bit. Discard the skin. Remove the meat from the bones and place in a large serving bowl with the pan juices. Cover to keep warm.
Add the pasta to the boiling water once the broccoli has been removed and cook according to package directions. Meanwhile, in the oven-safe skillet, heat the mushrooms over medium-low heat until they are soft and giving up their juices. Add to the bowl with the chicken. Heat the skillet over medium-high and add the shallots and bell peppers. Cook until slightly softened, and then add the broccoli. Continue to sauté until all of the vegetables are cooked to the desired tenderness. Add the chicken/mushroom mixture and the chicken stock. Drain the pasta well and add to the skillet. Add more HERBS, salt and PEPPER as desired. Cook until heated through. Place in the serving bowl and garnish with Parmesan cheese. Make sure you have extra cheese and either CRUSHED RED PEPPER or ALEPPO PEPPER on the table.