- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, lightly crushed
- 1 tsp fresh oregano
- 1 15 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 lb dry spaghetti, fettuccine or linguine
- A few basil leaves
- 1/4 cup grated grana padano (or any hard italian cheese)
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and saute until golden brown, 2 minutes.
2. Add tomatoes. Simmer over very low heat for 30 minutes, adding water by the 1/4 cup to keep sauce from becoming too thick (you can use leftover pasta water).
3. Season with salt and pepper and reserve.
4. Cook pasta in a large pot of heavily salted boiling water according to package instructions; reserve 1 cup pasta cooking water.
5. Add pasta to reserved tomato sauce in saucepan and finish cooking pasta, 2 to 3 minutes, adding 1/4 pasta water to moisten if necessary.
6. Divide among 4 plates and garnish with basil leaves and grated cheese.