Pasta with Mushrooms and Asparagus
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 teaspoons butter or stick margarine
- 1/3 cup diced shallots
- 6 cups sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup dry white wine $
- 8 ounces uncooked pappardelle (wide ribbon pasta) or fettuccine
- 2 cups (2-inch) sliced asparagus (1 pound) $
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Combine the first 3 ingredients, and set aside.
Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots; sauté 1 minute. Add mushrooms and salt; sauté 5 minutes. Stir in wine; cook 1 minute. Reduce heat to low. Add 2 tablespoons parsley mixture; saute 2 minutes. Keep warm.
Bring water to a boil in a large Dutch oven. Add pasta; cook 6 1/2 minutes. Add asparagus; cook 1 1/2 minutes or until asparagus is crisp-tender. Drain pasta mixture in a colander over a bowl, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid. Combine reserved cooking liquid, pasta mixture, mushroom mixture, and 1/4 cup cheese. Arrange 2 cups pasta mixture on each of 4 plates. Sprinkle evenly with remaining parsley mixture, 1/4 cup cheese, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.