Cinnamon Crumble Apple Pie
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup chilled unsalted butter - (1/2 stick) cut 1/2" cubes
- 1/4 cup frozen solid vegetable shortening cut 1/2" cubes
- 3 tablespoons ice water or more if needed
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 3 1/4 pounds Granny Smith apples peeled, cored, and sliced 1/4" thick
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup golden brown sugar - (packed)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter cut 1/2" cubes
- Vanilla ice cream for serving
For Crust: Mix flour, salt, and sugar in large bowl. Add butter and shortening; rub in with fingertips until coarse meal forms. Mix 3 tablespoons ice water and vinegar in small bowl to blend. Drizzle over flour mixture; stir with fork until moist clumps form, adding more water by teaspoonfuls if dough is dry. Gather dough into ball; flatten into disk. Wrap in plastic; refrigerate 30 minutes.
Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 400 degrees. Roll out dough on lightly floured surface to 12-inch round. Transfer to 9-inch-diameter glass pie dish. Trim overhang to 1/2 inch; turn edge under and crimp decoratively. Refrigerate while preparing filling and topping.
For Filling: Mix all ingredients in large bowl to coat apples.
For Topping: Blend first 5 ingredients in processor. Add chilled butter cubes; using on/off turns, cut in until mixture resembles wet sand.
Toss filling to redistribute juices; transfer to crust, mounding in center. Pack topping over and around apples. Bake pie on baking sheet until topping is golden, about 40 minutes (cover top with foil if browning too quickly). Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees. Bake until apples in center are tender when pierced and filling is bubbling thickly at edges, about 45 minutes longer. Cool until warm, about 1 hour. Serve with ice cream.
This recipe yields 8 servings.