Mushroom and Sausage Ragu with Polenta
Cook the polenta while the ragù simmers so everything will be ready and hot at the same time. Use mild sausage, if you prefer.
Fat:18.7g (sat 8.4g,mono 8.5g,poly 1.4g)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 8 ounces hot turkey Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 1/2 cups fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked polenta
- 4 ounces 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter
Adapted from find.myrecipes.com
1. Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to pan; swirl to coat. Remove sausage from casings. Add sausage to pan; sauté 3 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Remove sausage from pan.
2. Add 1 tablespoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion; sauté 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add mushrooms; sauté 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in sausage, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and tomatoes; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium; simmer gently for 15 minutes.
3. Bring broth and 1 1/2 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add polenta, stirring well. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer 20 minutes or until thick, stirring occasionally. Stir in remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt, cheese, and butter. Serve with sausage mixture.