Zesty fresh lemon is the heart of these scones, and the citrus carries through to the glaze drizzled over the warm baked treats. Brew up some coffee or tea!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup cold butter, cut into pieces
- 9 tablespoons milk
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vinegar
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons water, or as needed
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 55mins
Adapted from allrecipes.com
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Mix flour, white sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.
Cut in cold butter with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
Whisk milk, 3 tablespoons lemon juice, lemon zest, and vinegar in a small bowl and stir into flour mixture until moistened; turn out onto a lightly floured surface.
Knead dough briefly for 5 or 6 turns. Pat or roll dough out into a 1 inch-thick round.
Cut into 10 wedges and arrange on a baking sheet leaving 1 inch between each wedge.
Bake in preheated oven until bottom edges are lightly tan, 11 to 14 minutes. Allow scones to cool for 15 minutes.
While scones are cooling, stir confectioners' sugar, melted butter, 2 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice, and vanilla extract in a bowl until smooth.
Stir water into sugar mixture, 1 tablespoon at a time, until mixture is easily drizzled.
Drizzle glaze over warm scones.
You'll also love
- Watermelon and Feta Skewers 4.5/5 (37 Votes)
- AIP Sweet Potato & Mango Salad 4.7/5 (20 Votes)
- Red Velvet Hot Chocolate with... 4.7/5 (19 Votes)
- Crab, Bacon and Spinach Quiche 4.7/5 (20 Votes)
- Lemonade Faux-jito Pitcher 4.7/5 (19 Votes)
- Lemony Kale and Radish Saute 4.6/5 (20 Votes)
- Strawberry Banana Bread 4.5/5 (30 Votes)
- Banana Pineapple Coconut Muffin 4.6/5 (25 Votes)