Whole Grain Quiche
- 1 cup uncooked amaranth, rinsed
- 1/2 cup uncooked bulgur wheat
- 2 tablespoons Cabot Salted Butter, cut into pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons reduced fat (2%) milk
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup asparagus sliced on diagonal into small pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup reduced fat (2%) milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon grated nutmeg (optional)
- 6 ounces Cabot Sharp Light Cheddar or Sharp Extra Light Cheddar, grated (about 1 1/2 cups)
Preparation time 35mins
Adapted from cabotcheese.coop
To make crust:
In small saucepan, bring 1 cup water to simmer; add amaranth, cover pan and cook for 12 to 15 minutes or until water is completely absorbed.
In another small saucepan, combine bulgur with 1 cup water; bring to simmer, cover pan and cook for 10 to 12 minutes or until water is absorbed.
Combine amaranth and bulgur in bowl; add butter and salt, stirring until butter is melted and blended. Let stand until cool enough to handle, then mix in milk.
Preheat oven to 425ºF.
Press about two-thirds of mixture over bottom and up sides of ungreased 9-inch pie plate or quiche dish. (Reserve remainder for breakfast porridge the next day, to serve topped with chopped fruit and nuts and a drizzle of maple syrup or honey.)
Bake crust for 18 to 20 minutes or until golden.
To make filling and finish quiche:
Reduce oven temperature to 400ºF.
Heat olive oil in skillet over medium heat; add asparagus and mushrooms and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in tomatoes and chives.
In medium bowl, whisk eggs until frothy; add milk, salt, pepper and nutmeg, if using, whisking to combine.
Sprinkle half of cheese in crust. Top with vegetables. Pour egg mixture on top, then sprinkle with remaining cheese.
Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until custard is set and cheese is golden. Let stand for about 10 minutes before serving.