Apple Pie With Cheddar Crust
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chilled unsalted butter - (1 stick) cut 1/2" cubes
- 6 tablespoons chilled pure vegetable shortening cut 1/2" cubes
- 1 cup coarsely-grated sharp cheddar cheese - (firmly packed)
- 5 tablespoons ice water or more if needed
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 6 Jonathan, Jonagold, or Golden
- Delicious apples - (6 to 7 oz ea) peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter - (1/4 stick) diced
For Crust: Place flour, sugar, and salt in processor; blend 5 seconds. Add butter and shortening. Using on/off turns, blend until mixture resembles fine meal. Add cheese; mix in using 4 on/off turns. Transfer dry ingredients to large bowl. Sprinkle 5 tablespoons water over. Using fork, toss until moist clumps form, adding more water by tablespoonfuls if mixture is dry. Gather dough into ball; divide in half. Shape each half into disk. Wrap in plastic and chill at least 1 hour and up to 1 day.
For Filling: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Mix sugar and cornstarch in large bowl. Mix in apples, lemon juice, and salt.
Roll out 1 dough disk on lightly floured surface to 13-inch round. Transfer dough to 9-inch-diameter deep-dish glass pie dish; brush overhang with water. Transfer filling to dough-lined dish; dot with butter. Roll out second dough disk on lightly floured surface to 12-inch round. Place dough atop filling. Press overhang of bottom and top dough pieces together to seal. Trim overhang to 1/2 inch. Fold overhang under; crimp decoratively, forming high-standing rim. Cut several small slits in top crust to allow steam to escape.
Bake pie until golden brown, about 30 minutes. Cover crust edge with foil. Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees. Bake pie until filling bubbles thickly in center, about 30 minutes. Cool pie on rack 1 hour. Serve warm or at room temperature.
This recipe yields 8 servings.