Green Beans with Ginger Butter
- 2 pounds haricots verts or other green beans, trimmed
- 3-inch-long piece fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Finely grated lemon zest from 1/2 lemon
1. Fill a large bowl with cold water and ice. Set aside.
2. Bring an 8-quart pot of salted water to a boil.
3. Cook the beans, uncovered, until just tender, about 5 to 9 minutes.
4. Drain the beans in a colander, then transfer to the ice water to cool and stop the cooking.
5. Drain the beans again and pat dry.
6. Peel the ginger and cut into thin matchsticks.
7. In a 12-inch nonstick skillet over moderate heat, heat the butter until melted and the foam subsides.
8. Add the ginger and cook, stirring, until golden, about 3 minutes.
9. Add the beans and cook, stirring, until just heated through, about 2 minutes.
10. Remove the pan from the heat and add zest and 1/2 teaspoon salt, tossing to combine.