Pineapple Upside-Down Muffins
- For the Topping:
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
- 1 10-ounce can pineapple slices
- For the Muffins:
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons pineapple juice or orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 8-ounce can crushed pineapple (not drained)
- 1 cup grated carrot (1 large)
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 3/4 cup raisins, preferably baking raisins (see Ingredient note)
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
Cooking time 15mins
Adapted from cooking.com
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.
FOR THE TOPPING:
Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar into each muffin cup. Sprinkle nuts, if using, over the sugar. Stack pineapple slices and cut into 6 wedges. Place 2 wedges in each muffin cup.
FOR THE MUFFINS:
Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl.
Whisk eggs and brown sugar in a medium bowl until smooth. Whisk in oil, juice and vanilla. Stir in crushed pineapple. Make a well in the dry ingredients; add the wet ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula until just combined. Stir in carrot, oats, raisins and nuts, if using. Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin cups (they'll be quite full).
Bake the muffins until the tops are golden brown and firm to the touch, 15 to 25 minutes. Immediately loosen edges and turn muffins out onto a baking sheet. Restore any stray pineapple pieces and nuts. Let cool for at least 10 minutes. Serve upside-down, either warm or at room temperature.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (872 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (812 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (736 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (488 Votes)
- Samoa Brownies 4.5/5 (288 Votes)
- Frozen Banana Bites 4.5/5 (272 Votes)
- Pineapple Mango Rum Cocktail 4.5/5 (145 Votes)
- Pineapple Chicken Salad Lettuce... 4.6/5 (101 Votes)