Cranberry Upside Down Muffins
- Muffin Batter:
- 1 1/2 cups (170 grams) fresh or frozen cranberries
- 3/4 cup (150 grams) granulated white sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange juice or water
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest (outer orange skin of orange)
- 2 cups (260 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) granulated white sugar
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (240 ml) milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons (57 grams) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
Cranberry Upside Down Muffins: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C). Place rack in the middle of the oven. Butter well or spray, with a non stick vegetable spray, 12 muffin tins.
Cranberry Sauce: In a medium sized saucepan place the cranberries, sugar, orange juice (or water), and orange zest. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the sugar dissolves and the cranberries start to pop open, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly while you make the batter.
Muffin Batter: In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
In a separate bowl, mix together the milk, egg, vanilla extract, and melted and cooled butter.
Add the milk and egg mixture to the flour mixture. Stir just until combined. Do not over mix the batter or the muffins will be tough when baked.
Evenly divide the cranberry mixture among the 12 well greased muffins cups and then evenly spoon the batter over the cranberry sauce. Place in the oven and bake for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until very lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Place on a wire rack to cool for about 2 minutes, and then invert them onto a cooling rack so the the cranberry topping is face up..
Makes 12 regular-sized muffins