POPPY-TERIYAKI GLAZED CHICKEN
- Vegetable oil for drizzling, plus 1 tablespoon
- 4 pieces boin-in chicken thigh
- 4 pieces chicken leg
- Salt and pepper
- 4 plums
- 2 inches ginger root, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- About 1/2 cup teriyaki sauce
- 1-1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup plum preservees
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 4 scallions, whites and greens, thinly sliced
Heat a drizzle of oil in a large skillet over high heat. Season chicken well with salt and pepper, and brown well. Remove, pour off fat.
Halve and pit the plums, and place them cut-side down in the sillet. Brown well, remove and reserve.
Add remaning tablespoon oil to the pan and saute ginger and garlic a minute or 2. Add teriyaki sauce, stock and whisk in plum preserves and poppy seeds. Simmer to thicken and combine. Once the sauce coats a spoon, add chicken back and turn in sauce to coat. Cover and simmer to cook through.
Serve Poppy-Teriyaki chicken with plum halves and rice topped with lots of scallions alongside.