Turkey Osso Buco
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 whole turkey legs - (abt 3 1/4 lbs total) cut at joints into
- drumsticks and thighs, skin removed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium onions chopped
- 2 medium carrots peeled, chopped
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 6 garlic cloves minced, divided
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 can diced tomatoes in juice - (28 oz)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
Rub thyme over turkey; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Transfer to 6-quart slow cooker. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, carrots, and celery; sauté 8 minutes. Stir in 4 minced garlic cloves. Transfer vegetables to slow cooker. Add wine to skillet; boil until reduced by 1/3, about 1 minute. Pour wine and tomatoes with juice over turkey. Cover; cook on high until turkey is very tender and falls off bone, about 5 1/2 hours.
Mix parsley, peel, and remaining garlic in bowl for gremolata. Using slotted spoon, remove turkey from pot. Pull meat from bones; divide meat among 6 bowls. Season sauce with salt and pepper; spoon over turkey. Sprinkle with gremolata.
This recipe yields 6 main-course servings.
Per serving: calories, 198; total fat, 5 g; saturated fat, 1 g; cholesterol, 89 mg; fiber, 4 g