Tuna- And Potato-Stuffed Ancho Chiles
- 3 cups water
- 9 ounces piloncillo*
- 1 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1 piece canela - (abt 2")** (or cinnamon stick}
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 large ancho chiles
- 1 pound red-skinned potatoes
- 1 pound ahi tuna steaks, 1" thick
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped white onion
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 ounces mixed baby greens
- 1 large avocado halved, pitted, peeled, and cut into 12 slices
* Mexican raw sugar shaped into hard cones. Smaller chunks are sometimes labeled panocha. If neither is available, substitute and equal weight of packed dark brown sugar.
** Mexican cinnamon sticks with a delicate, floral flavor.
Bring 3 cups water and piloncillo to boil in medium saucepan. Add white vinegar, canela, and salt; simmer until piloncillo has dissolved, stirring often, about 1 minute. Remove from heat. Add chiles and soak until softened, occasionally pressing to submerge, about 1 hour; drain. Pat chiles dry; slit lengthwise and remove seeds.
Cook red-skinned potatoes in pot of boiling salted water until skewer easily pierces centers, about 35 minutes. Drain. Cool, peel, and cut potatoes into 1-inch cubes.
Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Season tuna with salt. Grill until light brown at edges but pink in center, about 3 minutes per side. Cut tuna into 1-inch cubes. Whisk together 1/4 cup oil and next 5 ingredients in large bowl. Fold in potatoes and tuna. Season with salt. Fill chiles with tuna-potato mixture.
Whisk remaining 1/4 cup oil, apple cider vinegar, and cilantro in medium bowl. Season with salt. In large bowl, toss greens with 2 tablespoons vinaigrette to coat. Divide salad among plates. Top with chiles and avocado slices; drizzle with some of remaining vinaigrette.
This recipe yields 6 servings.
You'll also love
- Tostadas With Eggs, Black Beans,... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Tomato, Onion, And Serrano Chile... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Spinach And Roasted Red Pepper... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Skewered Rosemary Shrimp With Mint... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Red Snapper, Veracruz Style 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Potato And Poblano Chile Gratin 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Mustard-Roasted Salmon With... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Grilled Tuna With Herbed Aioli 0/5 (0 Votes)