Mexican Style Eggs
- 4 6-inch corn tortillas
- 1/2 16-ounce can refried (or black) beans
- 1 10-ounce can red enchilada sauce
- 2 to 4 eggs (1 to 2 per person)
- pinch of salt (or to taste)
- optional toppings: chopped scallions, salsa, sour cream, grated Cheddar, guacamole
Adapted from realsimple.com
Heat oven to 300º F. Stack the tortillas, wrap them in foil, and put them in the oven for 10 minutes.
In a medium saucepan, bring the beans to a simmer (or cook them in the microwave until hot, about 3 minutes).
Meanwhile, in a skillet, bring the enchilada sauce to a simmer. With a spoon, create a well for each egg. Crack an egg and nestle it in the sauce; repeat.
Cover the pan and cook, 5 minutes for soft yolks, 7 minutes for firmer ones.
Place 2 tortillas on each plate. Spread them with a generous layer of beans.
With a spoon, gently place the eggs on top of the beans. Ladle on more enchilada sauce and add the toppings (if desired).