Andhra Shrimp Curry
- Prawns - 1 lb
- Onion(medium) - 2 cups finely minced
- Tomato(large) -1/2 cup chopped
- Water - 1 glass or 10 oz of water
- Coriander leaves - A big bunch
- Green chillies - 4 \Curry leaves - 1 sprig
- Ginger-garlic paste - 2 tsp
- Salt - 1 1/4 tsp or as reqd
- Turmeric - 1/4th tsp
- Chilly powder - 1 tsp
- Coriander powder - 3 tsp
- Cumin powder - 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds(Jeerakam) - 1/4 tsp
- Oil - 4 tbsp
- (2.5 tbsp for curry and 1.5 for cooking prawns)
- Grind the following ingredients to make garam masala powder enough for this prawn curry:-
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Cardamom(Elakka) - 1 no
- Cloves(Grambu) - 2 nos
- Cinnamon(Karugapatta) - 1 inch piece
- Poppy seeds(Khashakhasha) - 1 tsp
)Clean the prawns and add 1/8th tsp turmeric and 1/4 tsp salt and leave aside for 5 mins.
2)After 5 mins, squeeze the prawns little by little in your palms tightly to extract the water and drain and discard the water obtained from it and keep the prawns aside.
3)Heat 1.5 tsp of oil in a pan.
4)Cook the prawns for around 5 mins until the water is evaporated to 90%.
5)Switch off the stove and keep the prawns aside.
6)Heat 2.5 tbsp of oil in a pan.
7)Add 1 tsp of cumin seeds, curry leaves and green chillies followed by half bunch cilantro leaves.
8)Add the minced onions.
9)Add salt and turmeric and fry them until golden brown (until the oil separates).
10)Add cumin powder, coriander powder and chilly powder followed by the cooked prawns. Saute them for 3 - 4 mins.
11)Add the chopped tomatoes and stir and cook for 4 mins.
12)Cover and cook until 90% of moisture is evaporated.
13)At this stage, add the prepared garam masala powder and saute for a minute.
14)Add 1 glass of water. Mix well.
15)Cover and cook for 10 mins(until oil separates from the curry).
16)Add the remaining half bunch of cilantro leaves.
17)Switch off the stove and leave it covered for 10 mins.