Asparagus and Fresh Mozzarella Frittata with Parmesan and Chives
- 8 oz. asparagus tips or cut asparagus pieces
- 2 tsp. + 2 tsp. olive oil
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 6 eggs, well beaten
- 1/2 - 1 tsp. Spike Seasoning (optional but recommended)
- 1/2 cup fresh mozzarella pearls or fresh mozzarella pieces (about 5 oz., could also use 1/2 cup grated mozzarella)
- 2 T grated parmesan cheese
- 2 T chopped chives or green onions (I snip the chives with kitchen scissors, which is easier than chopping)
Wash and dry asparagus tips, and cut into sizes which will fit into your pan in a single layer. Heat 2 tsp. olive oil in heavy frying pan, then add the asparagus, season with salt and fresh ground black pepper, and cook at high heat about 2-3 minutes. When asparagus is barely browning on one side, turn and cook about 2 minutes on the other side.
While asparagus browns, drain mozzarella pearls and cut in half (or grate the cheese if you're using regular mozzarella.) Remove asparagus to a dish, add 2 tsp. more oil to the pan and heat oil on low. While oil heats, crack eggs into a bowl and beat with Spike seasoning until eggs are well-beaten. Pour eggs into pan, let cook for a couple minutes, then lay the asparagus spears in a single layer in the egg mixture. Use your fingers to sprinkle the mozzarella pearls around the pieces of asparagus, then sprinkle parmesan cheese on top.
If you're planning to brown the top of the frittata under the broiler turn the broiler on now. Cover pan and cook on low heat about 10 minutes, or until the edges are set but the center is still not completely set. Put pan under the broiler and brown the top for 2-3 minutes. (I have to turn the pan at least once to get it browned evenly in my broiler.) If you're not browning under the broiler, just cook covered until the whole frittata is firm, about 14 minutes.
Sprinkle frittata with chives or chopped green onions and serve hot.