Spiced Hot Chocolate
- 6 cups whole milk
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar - (packed)
- 15 whole cardamom pods crushed
- 12 whole cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks broken in half
- 2 whole star anise*
- 3/4 teaspoon whole coriander seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
* Brown star-shaped seedpods sold at Asian markets and some supermarkets.
Bring first 9 ingredients to simmer in heavy large saucepan, stirring until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat, cover, and let steep 20 minutes.
Add cocoa powder and vanilla. Bring to simmer, whisking until blended. Strain hot chocolate into 8-cup measuring cup; discard spices. Divide hot chocolate among 6 mugs.
This recipe yields 6 servings.