The Greatest Grilled Cheese Sandwich
The bold simplicity of thick challah and melted cheese is perfection on a plate—especially when it's served with creamy tomato soup .
This recipe is part of O 's comfort food menu
- Optional additional toppings:
- 12 thick slices (3/4 inch) challah or brioche
- 6 Tbsp. butter , softened
- 12 ounces shredded cheese , such as cheddar, jack, Fontina, Gouda, mozzarella, or Gruy�re (3 cups)
- Grilled onions and bacon
- Grainy mustard and sliced tomato
- Smoked ham and roasted peppers
Butter one side of each slice of bread.
Heat a flat griddle or large frying pan over medium heat. Mound about 1/2 cup (2 ounces) cheese on each of 6 slices of bread (unbuttered side). Add any optional toppings (if using). Place remaining bread on top, buttered side up. Place 1 or 2 sandwiches (do not crowd) on griddle or skillet. (Don't let griddle get too hot or bread will brown before cheese is melted.) When bread is golden brown underneath, turn sandwiches over and press flat with a spatula. Reduce heat to medium-low and continue cooking until cheese is melted and bread is golden brown on both sides. Repeat with remaining bread and cheese. Slice and serve hot.