Spicy Braised Lamb Ragu
- 2 pounds shoulder, cleaned, defatted and cut into 2 inch cubes. Salted the night before.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup yellow onions medium dice
- 1 cup red peppers medium dice
- 1/2 cup celery medium dice
- 3 tablespoons white wine
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 can whole peeled tomatoes cut into large pieces
- 1 small can (6 oz) tomatoe paste
- 1/2 cup chiocken stock
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
Brown the lamb cubes in the olice oil.
Remove the meat, add the vegatables, garlic, herbs and chili flakes. Cook for about 10 minutes to bloom out.
Deglaze with wine and reduce slightly.
Add the tomatoes and tomatoe paste and simmer for 10 minutes.
Add the lamb meat back to the pan and the chicken stock.
Bring to a boil (SIS) check for salt. Cover with parchment paper and a tight seal of aluminum foil.
Place in a 350 degree oven for 2 hours, check for doneness.
Remove the foil and the paper and continue to braise in the oven for another hour or more. Check every 20 minutes until done, stirring often.
Add the chickpeas in the last 30 minutes or so of cooking.
When done, remove from heat and allow the ragu to cool in the pan for 30 minutues or so.
Mash the ragu with a large potato masher to break up some of the meat and thicken the ragu. Do not mash all the meat, you want to keep some intact in the ragu.