Shredded Beef Salad
- 1 flank steak - (abt 1 lb)
- 1 white onion quartered
- 1 tablespoon fine sea salt
- 2 garlic cloves peeled, crushed
- 4 whole black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- 3 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon dried Mexican oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large tomatoes cut into wedges
- 1/2 cup thinly-sliced red onion
- 2 romaine lettuce hearts cored, and leaves quartered crosswise
- 6 radishes thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 avocados halved, peeled, pitted, and sliced
- Bowl of corn tortilla chips
For Beef: Place steak in large pot. Add enough water to cover steak by 2 inches (about 10 cups). Add onion, salt, garlic, peppercorns, and bay leaf. Bring to boil over high heat, skimming any foam from top of cooking liquid. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add oregano. Simmer un-covered until steak is tender, adding more water to cover steak if necessary, about 1 1/2 hours. Cool slightly. Refrigerate uncovered until meat and liquid are cold, at least 3 hours and up to 1 day.
Remove steak from liquid, reserving liquid. Trim excess fat. Cut steak crosswise into 3 pieces, then shred coarsely. Transfer beef to large bowl. Add enough cooking liquid to bowl to cover beef completely.
For Vinaigrette: Whisk vinegar, lime juice, oregano, salt, and pepper in small bowl to blend. Gradually whisk in oil. (Shredded beef and vinaigrette can be made 1 day ahead. Cover separately; chill. Bring vinaigrette to room temperature and rewhisk before using.)
For Assembly: Combine tomatoes, red onion, and 3 tablespoons vinaigrette in medium bowl; toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Drain all cooking liquid from shredded beef. Add lettuce, radishes, and cilantro to bowl with beef. Mix in enough of remaining vinaigrette to coat. Season salad to taste with salt and pepper.
Divide salad among plates; surround with tomato mixture. Garnish with avocado slices. Serve with corn chips.
This recipe yields 6 servings.
You'll also love
- Sesame-Ginger Beef And Asparagus... 0/5 (0 Votes)