Garden Alfredo with Chicken
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 5/8 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- Cooking spray
- 6 ounces uncooked pappardelle pasta
- 2 medium zucchini
- 2 medium yellow squash
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 5 ounces thin asparagus spears, trimmed or fresh green beans
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 2 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add chicken; cook 4 minutes on each side or until done. Remove from pan; let stand 5 minutes. Cut chicken across the grain into thin slices; keep warm. Reserve drippings in pan.
While chicken cooks, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain; keep warm.
Cut each zucchini and squash in half crosswise. Cut 1/2-inch slices from outer "walls" of zucchini and squash; discard cores. Slice pieces lengthwise into thin strips.
Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil; swirl. Add zucchini, squash, asparagus and/or green beans, and bell pepper; sauté 3 minutes. Sprinkle with 3/8 teaspoon salt. Add garlic; sauté 2 minutes. Remove pan from heat.
Combine broth, half-and-half, and flour; stir with a whisk. Add broth mixture to reserved drippings in skillet. Bring to a boil; cook 2 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add cheese; stir until cheese melts. Add pasta, vegetables, and chicken; toss. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon black pepper