Rice Pudding With Raisins And Cinnamon
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups long-grain white rice
- 6 lemon peel strips, 2" by 1/2" (yellow part only)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups whole milk or more if needed
- 1 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 2 canela sticks (or cinnamon sticks)
- 2 vanilla beans split lengthwise
- 3/4 cup brown raisins or golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Ground cinnamon
- Grated peel from 1 lemon
- Additional canela sticks (optional) (or cinnamon sticks)
Bring 2 cups water to boil in medium saucepan. Remove from heat. Add rice; let stand 15 minutes. Pour rice into strainer and drain, then rinse rice under cold running water until water runs clear.
Bring 4 cups water to boil in large saucepan. Add rice, lemon peel strips, and salt and return to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until rice is almost tender, about 10 minutes. Drain. Discard lemon peel.
Combine 5 cups milk, sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, and 2 canela sticks in heavy large saucepan. Scrape in seeds from vanilla beans; add beans. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium and boil gently until mixture thickens and is reduced to 2 3/4 cups, about 30 minutes. Stir in rice, raisins, and sugar. Stir until raisins are plump and flavors blend, about 5 minutes.
Spoon pudding into bowls. Sprinkle with ground cinnamon and grated lemon peel. Garnish with canela sticks, if desired.
This recipe yields 8 to 10 servings.