- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds stew beef cut into 1-1/2" cubes
- 2 onions thin sliced
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1/4 cup sour cream
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
1. Heat butter and oil in skillet. When foam subsides, brown meat.
2. Transfer meat to covered casserole.
3. Add onion to skillet and cook until soft. Add to casserole and toss with flour.
4. Pour stock into skillet and add spices. Boil rapidly and add to casserole.
5. Bring casserole to a boil on the stove and then cover and put in lower third of oven. cook so barely simmering about 1-1/4 hour.
6. Put meat on platter and skim fat from liquid. Beat in sour cream 1 tablespoon at a time and pour liquid over meat.