Creamy Tomato Pasta
Use homegrown tomatoes to make this easy meal even more scrumptious! Add extra cheese on top and serve with garlic bread.
- TOMATO SAUCE:
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh tomatoes (about 9 medium)
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, minced
- olive oil
- ALFREDO SAUCE:
- If you want to lighten it up, halve the alfredo and keep the tomato sauce the same.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup half & half
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 pound farfalle or other short cut pasta
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 35mins
Bring a large pot of water to boil for the pasta.
Start the tomato sauce. Bring a large pot of water to boil. Score the bottom of the tomatoes, blanch in the boiling water for about a minute, cool and peel. Discard skins. Roughly chop tomatoes and set aside.
In a small saucepan, sweat the minced onion and garlic in about a tablespoon of olive oil over medium low heat for about 5 minutes, until soft.
Add the tomatoes to the onion and garlic. If you want a thin sauce like mine, blend the sauce with an immersion blender. Cook about 15 minutes until thickened.
While the tomato sauce thickens, add the pasta to the boiling water and cook according to the package directions.
While the pasta and tomato sauce are cooking, make the alfredo sauce. Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour until smooth and cook about 2 minutes, until brown.
Whisk in the milk, half & half, garlic and season with salt & pepper. Continuously whisking, bring to a simmer and cook about 2 minutes until thickened. Fish out the garlic with a slotted spoon and discard.
Whisk in the parmesan. The sauce will be very thick, so add 1/3 cup of the hot pasta cooking water to the alfredo sauce to thin it out a bit. Remove from heat.
Drain the pasta and add to the alfredo sauce.
Mix the basil into the tomato sauce and add the tomato sauce to the pasta. Mix well.
You'll also love
- Sautéed Asparagus with Bacon 4.5/5 (142 Votes)
- Melt in Your Mouth Chicken Breast 4.5/5 (142 Votes)
- Lemon Burst Cake Mix Cookies 4.5/5 (138 Votes)
- Mongolian Beef 4.5/5 (135 Votes)
- Self-Frosting Pumpkin Nutella... 4.5/5 (137 Votes)
- Cajun Shrimp & Sausage Pasta 4.3/5 (155 Votes)
- Pasta Fagioli Slow Cooker Crock... 4.5/5 (134 Votes)
- Roasted Eggplant and Tomato Soup 4.4/5 (135 Votes)