Mini Seafood Casseroles
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium white all-purpose potato, peeled and diced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup bottle clam juice
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 pound bay scallops
- 3/4 pound peeled and cleaned medium shrimp
- 1 slice whole wheat bread
- 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves
- pinch salt
1. Heat broiler. In a medium saucepan, melt 3 tablespoons of the butter over medium-high heat. Add carrot, celery, onion and potato. Saute 5 minutes, until onion is softened.
2. Stir in flour. Pour in clam juice, cream, wine, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer. Simmer 13 to 15 minutes, until vegetables are just tender. Stir in scallops and shrimp. Cook 4 minutes, stirring occasionally until seafood is cooked through.
3. Meanwhile, combine bread, basil and a pinch of salt in a food processor. Pulse until bread crumbs are formed. Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter, and toss with bread crumbs until moist.
4. Divide seafood mixture between four 12-ounce ovenproof dishes. Top with bread crumbs; broil 2 minutes until browned. Makes 4 individual casseroles.