French Onion Soup
- ¼ cup butter or olive oil
- 3 lb (1 ½ kg) onions, thinly sliced (about 12 medium)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 8 cups beef, chicken or vegetable stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 rounds French or Italian bread (about 4 inches in diameter each)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp fresh thyme or ¼ tsp dried
- ¼ tsp salt
- About 2 cups grated Gruyere or other Swiss cheese
Heat 2 Tbsp butter or oil in large deep skillet. Add onions; cook 10 – 15 minutes until soft and starting to brown. Sprinkle with sugar. Cook 5-10 minutes, until browned. Add wine, bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer until onions absorb wine and become very tender, about 15 minutes. Add salt, pepper and broth. Heat.
Arrange bread slices in single layer on baking sheet. Combine 2 Tbsp melted butter with garlic, thyme, salt and a pinch of pepper in small bowl. Brush mixture on bread slices. Place in preheated 400 oven; bake until crisp and browned.
Place 8 ovenproof bowls on cookie sheet. Fill with soup mixture. Place a baked bread slice on top and sprinkle with grated cheese. Place in preheated 400 oven until cheese is browned and bubbling.