Sticky Chicken Wings
- 3 pounds chicken wings (tips cut off and separated at joints)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 6 eggs
- 3 Tablespoons vegetable shortening or canola oil for frying
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup vinegar (rice vinegar best)
- 3/4 Tablespoon ketchup
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 dash salt
- 1/4 cup chicken broth or 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. chicken soup base dissolved in 1/4 cup hot water
1. After snipping chicken wings lay out on a cookie sheet and sprinkle evenly with GRANULATED GARLIC. Turn over and sprinkle other side. Cover the tray and let the wings stand in refrigerator for 30 minutes. While waiting mix all the sauce ingredients in a sauce pan and cook over medium heat until it comes to a boil, stirring often. Once it has a soft boil going remove from heat and let it sit.
2. Put cornstarch in a roomy bowl. In another bowl add eggs and beat well. In a large skillet, heat 1 Tablespoon shortening or oil. Fry wings adding oil between each batch. Roll the wings in the cornstarch first then in the egg mixture. Fry until golden brown. Turning them after each side gets golden brown. About 5 minutes total.
3. Place fried wings on jelly roll pan and spoon the sauce over all the wings. Bake @ 350 for about 1 hour. Halfway thru baking turn wings over and baste the other side with sauce in the pan. The sauce will thicken and start to caramelize on the wings. Remove from pan carefully so as not to dislodge the crust.
4. Serve as appetizers or over white or fried rice for meal.