FRESH APPLE CAKE WITH BUTTER PECAN GLAZE
- Apple Cake:
- ◾3 cups White Lily all-purpose flour*
- ◾2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ◾1 teaspoon baking soda
- ◾1/2 teaspoon salt
- ◾2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- ◾1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- ◾3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- ◾4 cups grated apples, about 4 large
- ◾1 cup chopped pecans
- ◾2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Butter Pecan Glaze:
- ◾1/4 cup butter
- ◾1/2 cup pecan halves
- ◾3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- ◾1/4 cup heavy cream
- ◾1/4 cup corn syrup
- ◾1/8 teaspoon orange extract (optional)
- White Lily has a low protein content, so if you’re using another brand of all-purpose flour use just 2 1/2 cups + 2 tablespoons.
Adapted from cookingontheside.com
For the Apple Cake:
1.Heat the oven to 350°F. Coat a 10-inch fluted tube pan with no-stick cooking spray.
2.Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Beat the brown sugar, oil and eggs in a large bowl. Gradually add the flour mixture. Stir in the apples, pecans and vanilla. Pour into the prepared pan, no more than 3/4 full.
3.Bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool 15 minutes on a wire rack before removing from the pan. Finish cooling on a wire rack.
For the Butter Pecan Glaze:
1.Melt the butter in a small saucepan. Toast the pecans in the butter over medium heat, stirring constantly. Mix in the brown sugar, cream and corn syrup. Bring to a rolling boil. Cook about 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Blend in orange extract.
2.Cool the glaze until thickened. Drizzle over the cake. Extra glaze may be spooned over individual slices, if desired.