FRESH APPLE CAKE WITH BUTTER PECAN GLAZE
- Apple Cake:
- ◾3 cups White Lily all-purpose flour*
- ◾2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ◾1 teaspoon baking soda
- ◾1/2 teaspoon salt
- ◾2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- ◾1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- ◾3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- ◾4 cups grated apples, about 4 large
- ◾1 cup chopped pecans
- ◾2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Butter Pecan Glaze:
- ◾1/4 cup butter
- ◾1/2 cup pecan halves
- ◾3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- ◾1/4 cup heavy cream
- ◾1/4 cup corn syrup
- ◾1/8 teaspoon orange extract (optional)
- White Lily has a low protein content, so if you’re using another brand of all-purpose flour use just 2 1/2 cups + 2 tablespoons.
Adapted from cookingontheside.com
For the Apple Cake:
1.Heat the oven to 350°F. Coat a 10-inch fluted tube pan with no-stick cooking spray.
2.Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Beat the brown sugar, oil and eggs in a large bowl. Gradually add the flour mixture. Stir in the apples, pecans and vanilla. Pour into the prepared pan, no more than 3/4 full.
3.Bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool 15 minutes on a wire rack before removing from the pan. Finish cooling on a wire rack.
For the Butter Pecan Glaze:
1.Melt the butter in a small saucepan. Toast the pecans in the butter over medium heat, stirring constantly. Mix in the brown sugar, cream and corn syrup. Bring to a rolling boil. Cook about 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Blend in orange extract.
2.Cool the glaze until thickened. Drizzle over the cake. Extra glaze may be spooned over individual slices, if desired.
You'll also love
- Honey Apple Pork Loin - Crockpot 4.5/5 (28 Votes)