- 6 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 8 skinless boneless chicken breast halves - (abt 2 1/2 lbs)
- 1 1/2 pounds assorted wild mushrooms sliced (such as oyster, crimini, and stemmed shiitake)
- 1 1/2 cups low-salt chicken broth
- 2/3 cup pitted Kalamata olives
- 3 plum tomatoes seeded, diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped shallot
- 1 tablespoon drained capers
- 2 tablespoons chilled butter - (1/4 stick)
- 1 cup teardrop tomatoes (red and yellow)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts toasted
- Caper berries halved (optional)
Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Heat 3 tablespoons oil in large skillet over high heat. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Working in 2 batches, add chicken to skillet. Cook until brown and just cooked through, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to ovenproof plate and place in oven to keep warm. Discard oil from skillet.
Add 3 tablespoons oil to same skillet over high heat. Add mushrooms; sauté until wilted and beginning to brown, about 3 minutes. Add broth; boil until almost all liquid evaporates, about 5 minutes. Add olives, plum tomatoes, garlic, shallot, and capers. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until liquid is reduced by half, about 7 minutes. Add butter; stir until melted. Mix in teardrop tomatoes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Spoon mushroom mixture over chicken. Sprinkle parsley and pine nuts over. Garnish with caper berries, if desired, and serve.
This recipe yields 8 servings.
Market Tip: Capers are flower buds from the caper bush, and caper berries are the fruit. They are about the size of an olive, and are usually pickled and sold in jars. They can be found at Italian markets, specialty foods stores, and some supermarkets.