- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 3/4 cup pearl barley
- 2 cups low-salt chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 medium carrot peeled, and finely chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
Melt butter in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sauté until onion is beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Add barley; cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add chicken broth and bay leaf; bring to boil. Reduce heat to low, stir once, and cover. Cook until barley is almost tender, about 25 minutes.
Add carrot and bell pepper; cover and cook until vegetables are tender, about 6 minutes. Remove pilaf from heat and stir. Cover and let stand 10 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in lemon peel and serve.
This recipe yields 4 servings.