Butternut Squash Gratin
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt, divided
- 1 (2- to 2 1/2-pound) butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch half-moons
- 1/4 cup(s) lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon(s) margarine or butter, cut up
- 1/2 cup(s) panko (Japanese-style bread crumbs)
- 1 1/2 ounce(s) Parmesan cheese, grated (1/2 cup)
- 1 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 1 teaspoon(s) fresh thyme leaves, chopped, plus sprigs for garnish
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) crushed red pepper
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease 2-quart shallow baking dish.
Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon salt all over squash. In prepared baking dish, arrange squash in overlapping layers; pour broth into dish. Dot squash with the butter or margarine. Cover tightly with foil and bake35 minutes, or until a knife pierces through squash with only slight resistance.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine panko, Parmesan, oil, thyme, red pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon salt until well mixed.
Uncover squash and sprinkle evenly with panko mixture. Bake, uncovered, 12 to 15 minutes or until crumbs are golden brown. Garnish with thyme sprigs.