- 4 tbs. bacon drippings
- 4 tbs. flour
- 4 garlic cloves(minced)
- 4 medium onions chopped
- 2 green peppers,seeded,then chopped
- 1 1/2 cups celery,chopped
- 1 lb. okra,sliced(can use frozen)
- 1 bag frozen mixed vegtables(16 oz.)
- 10 cups chicken broth(most can come from stewing the chicken, the rest from canned)
- 1 tbs. gumbo file
- 3 12 oz. cans diced tomatoes
- 1 can tomato paste(6 oz.)
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. white pepper
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 6 bay leaves
- 1 tbs. creole seasoning
- 2 whole chickens,stewed,skinned,chunked
- 1 lb. smoked sausage,diced
- 1 lb. cajun or hot sausage,diced
- 2 lbs. uncooked shrimp(shelled)
- 1 lb. fish (haddock,flounder,etc.) chopped
Warm bacon drippings in large pot(10 quart). Add garlic,onions,green pepper and celery. Saute until tender over medium heat then stir in flour.
Add chicken broth,okra,mixed vegtables,tomatoes and tomato paste, then simmer and stir for 10 min. Add all spices and bay leaves. Simmer on low heat 2 hours,stirring
frequently. Add chicken and sausage, cook 1 hour. During
the last 1/2 hour add shrimp and fish.
May need to add more chicken broth while gumbo is cookihg.
Spices can be adjusted to your taste.
Serve as a stew or over rice.