Wheat Berry Gazpacho Salad
- 1 cup wheat berries
- 6 1/2-inch thick slices whole grain crusty country bread
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon snipped fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon snipped fresh tarragon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 ounces Manchego or Parmesan cheese, shaved or grated
- 1 15 ounce canchickpeas, rinsed and drained (optional)
- 1 cup chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1 cup seedless green grapes, halved
- 1/2 cup sliced or chopped English cucumber
- 1/4 cup seeded and chopped yellow sweet pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh oregano
- 2 teaspoons snipped fresh tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cracked black pepper
Adapted from bhg.com
1. In a medium bowl combine wheat berries and 3 cups water. Let soak 1 hour; drain. Transfer to a medium saucepan. Add water to cover by 2 inches; place over high heat. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 1 hour, or until wheat berries are tender and some of the grains are splitting open at the tip. Pour into a fine mesh strainer; drain. Transfer to a large bowl. Let cool completely.
2. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Place bread slices on a baking sheet. In a small bowl combine 1 Tbsp. olive oil, 1 tsp. oregano, and 1 tsp. tarragon. Brush olive oil mixture on bread slices. Sprinkle with 1/4 tsp. salt. Bake 20 minutes or until bread is crisp. Sprinkle with cheese; bake 2 minutes more.
3. Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine chickpeas (if using), tomatoes, grapes, cucumber, sweet pepper, 1/4 cup olive oil, red onion, red wine vinegar, 1 Tbsp. oregano, 2 tsp. tarragon, and 1/2 tsp. salt. Toss to combine. Add wheat berries; toss to mix well.
4. To serve, spoon wheat berry mixture over bread slices. Sprinkle with black pepper. Makes 6 servings.