Italian Sausage With Peppers
- 8 Italian frying peppers or 4 large green or red bell-peppers or a combination of green and red bell peppers
- 8 mild or hot italian sausages (about 2 lbs total
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or salad oil
- 1 large onion,finly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic,minced or pressed
- 1 can (14 1/2 oz ) italian-style tomatoes
- 1 can (15 oz) tomato puree
- 1 1/2 teaspoons each sugar and dry basil
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano leaves
- salt and pepper
Arrange peppers in a single layer in a broiler pan and broil about 1 inch from heat,turning frguently until skins are blistered and chared on all sides.Transfer them to a paper or plastic bag and let them sweat for 15 to 20 minutes.Using a paring knife,pull or strip off skin and remaining seeds and stems.(At this point you can cool,wrap and refrigerate for up to 3 days,freeze for longer storage.Cut Itslian peppers in half lenghtwise,or quarter bell peppers;set aside.
Pierce each sausage in several places with a fork.Place in a 5 to 6 quart Dutch Oven and add water to barely cover.Bring to a boil,then reduce heat,cover and simmer until sausages are no longer pink inside (about 20 minues.)Remove from pan.Discard water.To the same pan add oil,onion and garlic.Cook stirring,over medium-high heat until soft.Add tomatoes.(break up with a spoon) and their liguid,tomato puree,sugar,basil and oregano.Simmer uncovered,stirring occasionally,until thickened(about 20 minutes).
Cut sauceage into 1 1/2 to 2-inch chuncks and add to sauce,add peppers.Simmer uncovered until sausages are hot 5 to 10 minutes)Addsalt and pepper to taste.